Avalon Celtics U9 Invitational Tournament Returns in 2022
New date announced for renown provincial U9 tournament
St. John’s, NL (February 18, 2022) – Today the Avalon Minor Hockey Association (AMHA) announced revised dates for its 23rd Annual U9 Invitational Tournament – April 28 – May 1 2022.
AMHA has followed all Public Health and Hockey NL guidelines since hockey restrictions came into effect in March 2020 and will continue to do so going forward. Accordingly, the U9 Invitational will be held subject to Public Health and Hockey NL permitting tournament play in the province prior to the tournament date.
“Our Board, staff and all of Celtics Nation is delighted today to hear the news that our beloved and most popular U9 Invitational Tournament can return in 2022” said Tracy Hayley, AMHA Vice President – Recreational Hockey. “Our tournament has a deep history and tradition of bringing teams together from various regions of the province and competing in a high quality, well run event. We cannot wait to welcome players and families back for an extra special 2022 version” added Hayley.
Originally scheduled for late March, the pandemic delayed hockey season forced the Association to push back the date to a post – Easter weekend. Avalon Minor Hockey will be sending invitations to associations in the near future and digging in to plan the event over the next 6-8 weeks. Sponsorship opportunities are available and interested groups and organizations can contact AMHA for details.
AMHA Vice President – Competitive Hockey, Brent Meade, added “Our legendary U9 Invitational has offered our youngest players their first opportunity for competitive play in a Hockey NL sanctioned event. After a two year hiatus from this event, our Board, staff, parent group, and volunteers are highly motivated to host a big hockey event in our own rink and create memories that will last a lifetime. We regularly hear from adults in our hockey circles who can still remember the great experience they had at our tournament.”
Participants in the 2022 Avalon Celtics U9 Invitational can expect our typical, high end, well organized youth hockey tournament when they arrive at DF Barnes Arena in late April. Subject to pandemic restrictions permitting all activities, the tournament will feature;
- Minimum 4 game guarantee
- 10 Team, 2 Divisions
- Opening ceremony
- Awards banquet
- Tournament medal for all participants
- Gold and Silver medals for finalist teams (both divisions)
- Championship banner (both divisions)
- Tournament ‘Goody Bags’ for all participants including commemorative T-Shirt
- Hospitality Suite in our new ‘Harvey’s Heat Retreat’ viewing area
- A full weekend of ROCKIN’ hockey soundtrack, PA Announcing, live streaming of all games, and a guaranteed fun time in DF Barnes Arena!
Past tournament results have been preserved here;
AMHA is a minor hockey association in the City of St. John’s. AMHA delivers recreational and competitive hockey programs to over 400 players aged 5-18. AMHA supports numerous leagues in the region including AAA Programs, Doug Marshall Hockey League, Don Johnson Hockey League, and the Interlocking House League. Established in 1984, AMHA offers the youth of St. John’s quality programs in minor hockey and their mission is to;
- provide equal opportunity in accordance with interest and ability
- promote self-confidence, discipline & sportsmanship and respect for others through hard work and fair play
- encourage coaches and members to demonstrate a positive attitude
- provide direction & assistance for coach development
- deliver programming in a cost effective and efficient manner
For additional information, please call Mark Sexton, President – Avalon Minor Hockey Association, at 709.763.1339 / email@example.com